Rev. Frank Hughes, Jr.
 
Wauchope Family Story
Rev. J. Leighton Read, with his wife
Katharine Rutherford Wauchope

From the “The Free Lance,” (Fredericksburg, VA.) June 10, 1905:

Miss Katharine Rutherford Wauchope, future wife of Dr. J. Leighton Read, graduates from Fredericksburg College, with a degree in Music:

Upon her graduation from Fredericksburg College, Katherine Rutherford Wauchope taught school at the Presbyterian College, Durant, Oklahoma.
(More pictures of the college):

THE BUILDING OPENED IN 1910 AS THE OKLAHOMA PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE FOR GIRLS AND OPERATED UNTIL 1966. THE COLLEGE HAD ITS ROOTS IN THE PRESBYTERIAN HOME MISSION, WHICH ESTABLISHED THE CALVIN INSTITUTE IN DURANT IN 1894. THE BUILDING REFLECTS THE CLASSICAL REVIVAL STYLE. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 12/12/76.

Miss Katherine Wauchope is listed as Superintendent:
A recently discovered picture taken by Rev. Hughes of Rev. J. Leighton Read with his eldest daughter (Mrs. Frank Hughes, Jr.) He had just arrived at the airport for a visit to our home in South Norfolk, Virginia, after his wife had already passed.
Grandmother Read would go out in her Norman, Oklahoma neighborhood and invite the children into her home and teach Bible stories with flannel graphs, and sing songs while she played the piano.

"He Owns the Cattle on a Thousand Hills"

(Words and Music by John W. Peterson)

 

He owns the cattle on a thousand hills,
The wealth in every mine;
He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills,
The sun and stars that shine.
Wonderful riches, more than tongue can tell -
He is my Father so they're mine as well;
He owns the cattle on a thousand hills -
I know that He will care for me.  

During one summer, Rev. and Mrs. J. Leighton Read visited us in South Norfolk, Virginia.  Here is a picture Dad took of us down at Nags Head, N.C. on the beach.  From L to R: Joe, Mrs. Read, Rev. Read (in white shirt and tie) and Jim, sitting behind him playing in the sand.
Rev. Read took this picture of us at Colonial Williamsburg.  From L to R:  Joe (being held by Dad), Rev. and Mrs. Hughes, Jim standing in front of Mrs. Read.
Wauchope Family Story
Church Membership Record, Colony, OK, for Kate A., Katherine Rutherford, Edward H., William C., Mary A. Wauchope:
New Genealogy Research (2015): Wauchope, Spengler, Rutherford

After he retired, my father and mother visited several sites in Virginia and West Virginia.  They found a very old lady living in Capon Bridge, WVA. who, as a child, knew the Wauchope family.  She told my mother, that "they had a very large family." My mother also visited Woodstock and Strasburg, Virginia. She was able to locate some information that is on this website.  She also indicated to me the connection to the Spengler family, also included.
Joseph Walker Wauchope

Joseph Walker Walkup (brother of Samuel Houston Walkup) (December 28, 1826- December 31, 1903).  He was married first, to Jennie Armstrong; and second, to Kate Kendrick.

Son of Rev Samuel and Mary Todd Houston Wauchope. Married (1) Jane Wilson Armstrong, and (2) Katherine Ann Kendrick.

 

 

Parents:

  Samuel Walkup (1783 - 1852)

  Maria Todd Houston Walkup (1798 - 1874)

 

 Spouses:

  Jane Wilson Armstrong Wauchope (1834 - 1862)

  Katherine Kendrick Wauchope (1845 - 1925)

 

 Children:

  George Armstrong Wauchope (1862 - 1943)

  Samuel Kendrick Wauchope (1871 - 1945)

  William Crawford Wauchope (1880 - 1975)

 

 Siblings:

  Joseph Walker Wauchope (1826 - 1903)

  Matthew Henry Walkup (1829 - 1909)

  Samuel Houston Walkup (1842 - 1908)

 

Wauchope children in 1886, at Capon Bridge, WV: (left to right)

Edward Houston, Samuel Kendrick holding Mary Armstrong, Joseph Alleine, William Crawford ("Bill"), and Arthur Douglas. Katharine Rutherford was not born yet.

Wauchope/Walkup Family: 1880 Census, Capon Bridge, WVA.

Note: Joseph W. is listed as “Clergyman”

Wife, Kate is listed as “Housekeeper”

Son, George Armstrong is listed as “School Teacher.”

There is also a servant listed, who was born in Maryland, living with them:

A pdf file of the 1880 Census:
George Armstrong Wauchope
(an early picture)
He taught school for awhile in Capon Bridge, WVA.
Son of Joseph W. Wauchope.

George Armstrong Wauchope earned four degrees from Washington and Lee University, including a Ph.D. in 1889. He taught at the University of Missouri, University of Virginia, and the University of Iowa, before coming to the University of South Carolina as associate professor in the Department of Language and Literature in 1898. He was a prolific writer of articles and essays, and his most well-known was The Writers of South Carolina. He is probably best remembered on campus as the composer of the University's alma mater, "We Hail Thee Carolina," which he wrote in 1911. He taught until his retirement in 1943, a total of 45 years of service at Carolina.

While at the University of Missouri, he wrote their alma mater, "Old Missouri."





Dr. G.A. Wauchope

while Professor at the University of Missouri
While at the University of Missouri, the student newspaper, "The Savitar," published a poem he had written:
It was while he was at the University of Missouri, that Dr. Wauchope witnessed the main building burn, due to a defective light bulb...the first one installed west of the Mississippi.
From F.F. Stephens "A History of the University of Missouri," we learn this about Dr. Wauchope's tenure there:
Dr. Wauchope's story, in the following PDF files:
All that remained were the columns:
Those columns were retained and now appear at the entrance to the University:
Dr. Wauchope taught at the University of Idaho, 1895-1897, and was present for the first commencement in 1896.
Dr. Wauchope stepped into a very rustic educational environment, as evidence by this newspaper article:
The First Graduating Class:
In a somewhat deja vu for Professor Wauchope (although he had already departed for another position), this first Administration Building built in 1892, when he taught there, burned in 1908, due to defective wiring:
While Dr Wauchope was at the University of Idaho, it had a military cadet corps, that included women!  Although many of the men served overseas during the Spanish-American War, in the Philippines, none of the women were allowed to go.
While Dr. Wauchope taught at University of Idaho, the first African American student, Jennie Eva Hughes, matriculated and later graduated on June 21, 1899:
Dr. Wauchope was written up in this book, "Men of the Time."
Article on Dr. Wauchope, from "Men of the Time":
Dr. George A. Wauchope
spoke at the Memorial Service for Dr. H.A. White, Columbia Theological Seminary.

George A. Wauchope appeared in early history of Hampshire County, WVA:
Dr. George A. Wauchope
wrote the introduction to this magisterial work about well-known South Carolina writers:

Lecture on Bible at Summer School
Dr. George Armstrong Wauchope
Delivered Address on King James Version
Dr. G.A. Wauchope is invited to teach at the
University of Virginia:
George Armstrong Wauchope
(pictured here in later years)

(He married Elizabeth Bostedo and they had two children: Virginia and Robert Wauchope.)
Dr. G.A. Wauchope celebrates his
75th Birthday, May 26, 1937:

COMPLETE NEWSPAPER ARTICLE ABOUT
DR. WAUCHOPE'S 75th BIRTHDAY:
Dr. George Armstrong Wauchope, will









Elizabeth Bostedo Wauchope




Elizabeth Bostedo
in her wedding gown
Elizabeth Bostedo Wuchope with her daughter Virginia, 1905:
Elizabeth B. Wauchope in later years.
Elizabeth Wauchope with her son Robert Wauchope
Robert Wauchope goes on Archeological Dig in New Mexico:
June 5, 1927, Charlotte Observer:

Robert Wauchope, as a graduate student:
December 7, 1930 (Charlotte Observer Newspaper):
Robert Wauchope, 1943:
Robert Wauchope wedding announcement:
Sunday, August 24, 1941, Greensboro Daily News, North Carolina:
Mrs. Robert Wauchope was involved in the life of the Tulane University community, as seen in this article that appeared in the Times-Picayune, December 22, 1960:
Robert Wauchope spoke about his work for the Works Progress Administration (WPA), as reported in the Greensboro Daily News, November 2, 1941:
Even today, Dr. Robert Wauchope is still remembered as a pioneer in his field.  Here is a story from the April 2015, University of North Carolina Faculty and Staff "Gazette."  I have included it in it's entirety.  The story begins on Page 1, then continues inside.
From the article we read:

This year, the school will be held on the Wall site on the Eno River at Hillsborough that was occupied just before the attempted English settlement of North Carolina’s coast in the 1580s. Not far from the Wall was a village of the Occaneechi band dating back to 1700. These sites hold a special place in the history of the RLA as well. In the summer of 1940, founding director Robert Wauchope led the RLA’s first excavation there. The summer Steponaitis took over as director in 1988, he participated in a

field school at the site. The reason they return to these sites again and again is because old questions always beckon to be asked anew. And it is why, Davis said, the digging never gets old – “it only gets deeper.”

The full story:


From the Times-Picayune (New Orleans, Louisiana),

June 13, 1948:

From the Times-Picayune (New Orleans, Louisiana): 

Arthur Douglas Wauchope
(Arthur Douglas Wauchope, son of Joseph W. Wauchope, was born July 11, 1878, and died March 15, 1931, in Atlanta, Georgia; and is buried in Gainesville, GA. 

He graduated from Hampden-Sidney College in 1898. He was an Evangelist for Georgia Synod of the Presbyterian Church (US).

He married Edna Mae Rohr, November 7, 1906. She was born May 14, 1883, Harrisonburg, VA. (Edna Mae Rohr Wauchope was the daughter of T. T. Rohr and Amanda Catherine Clem Rohr.) She died December 19, 1963, Hendersonville, NC.  They had three children:

Catherine Lois Wauchope (Born: September 18, 1907, Died: September 26, 2001, buried Oakdale Cemetery, Hendersonville, NC.). Catherine Lois married Thomas Napoleon Renshaw (Nov. 17, 1899-March 21, 1919);   

Edna A. Wauchope (Born: 1908, TX; Died:?)

Arthur Douglas Wauchope, Jr., (Born: October 18, 1912, Concord, NC; Died: October 26, 1985, Brevard, NC).  Arthur Wauchope, Jr. worked as a representative for the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company, and married Laurie Tappan Hayes, June 27, 1940, in Decatur, GA.; (she was born March 3, 1916; Died: June 11, 1997, Brevard, NC.) with four living children, at the time of her death, including twin boys: Doug and Don Wauchope, also Barbara and Bruce).   (Doug and his wife Susan live in Middleboro, MA.; Don and his wife Mary live in Pisgah Forest, NC; Barbara Wauchope and her husband Bill Humm live in Lee, NH., and David Bruce Wauchope lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

From the Richmond Times Dispatch (Richmond, Virginia), June 13, 1907, page 7. 

Three members of the Wauchope family attended Hampden-Sidney College:
Mrs. A.D. Wauchope's sister's wedding announcement, Sunday, June 14, 1942, Charleston News and Courier, South Carolina:
A.D. Wauchope as Candidate for the Ministry:
Richmond Times Dispatch, Octobr 25, 1906,  reports that A.D. Wauchope passed Ordination Exams and preached an acceptable sermon before the Lexington Presbytery:
Rev. A.D. Wauchope leaves for Durant Presbytery, Oklahoma, as reported in the Richmond Times Dispatch, Feb 10, 1910 (Note: they got his initials wrong: "A.S." instead of the correct "A.D."):
Rev. Arthur Douglas Wauchope, in 1910 Census:
One of Arthur Douglas Wauchope's earliest pastorates, was at the Presbyterian Church in Sulphur City, OK

Tucked in the rolling prairie of cross-timber country, Sulphur, Oklahoma is known as the gateway to the Chickasaw National Recreation Area. One of three areas administered by the National Park Service, it was known to Native Americans as "the land of rippling waters" due to the mineral waters, streams, lakes and swimming holes crisscrossing the area.


Sulphur, Oklahoma is located at the foot of the Arbuckle Mountains, on both the Santa Fe and the Frisco railroad lines. Many Indian legends and traditions are recounted in connection with the springs, that surround the county. The Indians knew of "Medicine Springs." Kickapoo Chiefs had taken their sick to the springs for 500 years. This would have been 41 years before Coronado, the Spaniard who arrived in the Oklahoma area in 1541.  During the Civil War, there were at least two refugee camps around the Springs.  One tribe was the Cherokee and the other was the Kickapoo.

 

The first Civilized Indians to be relocated west of the Mississippi was a band of Cherokees. They and the United States made the Hopewell Treaty in 1785 which forced them to relocate between the St. Francis and White Rivers in what now is known as Arkansas. At that time Oklahoma was known for its abundance of wild life. The south central part was tagged "Field of Eden." Many tribes hunted and fought there.

 

The Cherokees tangled with the Osages, coming down form Missouri; the Caddoes battled the Choctaws coming in from Mississippi. Near present-day Caddo, Oklahoma, the Choctaws won a battle, keeping the game they had killed.

 

The earliest date mentioning Sulphur was about 1867. In a report by George Conover, a member of the 6th United States Infantry, was going from Ft. Smith to Ft. Arbuckle when the group camped between present-day Sulphur and Davis. Cholera broke out and 28 men died. They were buried in shallow graves without coffins. He said there was not a house between Stonewall and Ft. Arbuckle.

 

In 1878, a White rancher named Noah Lael built his ranch house near the present park headquarters. Another rancher, Perry Froman, purchased Lael's ranch house in the future park area in 1881.

 

Fame of the curative powers of the mineral springs spread and people came as the influx of white settlers in the Chickasaw Nation mounted in the 1880's and 1890's.

 

The first store was established about 1891 and the town, named Sulphur Springs, began to develop. The U.S. Post Office was established on Oct.2, 1895.

 

In 1902 the government secured about 629 acres from the Chickasaws and called the area "Sulphur Springs Reservation." The town had to move, with the government paying for the abandoned houses.  Some moved out of the park area to the north on a hill on east side of Rock Creek. Others moved to the west side of the new "reservation" area, which proved to be a useless effort. Others moved south to where South Town is today.


In 1906, the Sulphur Springs Reservation was name changed to Platt National Park, named for U.S. Senator Orville H. Platt who was active in Indian affairs. The population of Sulphur Springs was 1198 in 1900.  The town boasted over 4,000 population at time of statehood in 1907.

 

In 1908, the Oklahoma School for the Deaf was established in East Sulphur.   In 1922, the Oklahoma Veteran's Hospital was established at the southwest corner of Platt National Park.

 

During 1871-1872, a freight and mail line ran from Boggy Depot (which is near where Rev. John Jeremiah Read is buried) to Caddo to Fort Sill, crossing Blue River at Nail's Crossing, Sulphur Springs, Cherokee Town, Pauls Valley, White Bead Hill, Beef Creek (Maysville), Erin Springs, Rush Springs, and Fort Sill.

 

About the same time, miners began working coal field around McAlester, and Texas began driving cattle herds to Kansas. By 1872, 4000,000 head passed through Indian Territory each year. Sulphur Springs lay between the famous Texas and Chisholm Trails, catching many of their "spillovers."

 

B. B. Haney, who became one of Sulphur's first policemen, reported about helping his mother and some cowboys drive a herd through Sulphur in 1877. He was only eight years old, but he remembered the game was plentiful.


There are accounts of Confederate veterans gathering at Sulphur Springs, church conventions, and cowboys. One specific account stated there were a store, a dwelling, and a blacksmith shop in 1890. Another said in 1894 there were a store and some 30 odd tents. About 1890, some fishermen built a clubhouse at the Springs for a place to eat and keep their gear locked. Soon they enlarged it, hired a cook, and brought their families. The building became too small so they sold it for the 1st. hotel.


It was providential that Rev. Wauchope was not in Sulphur in 1920, when a terrible Cyclone tore through the town and rendered much destruction.  I have seen the pictures of this, and it is heart-wrenching to look at.


Here are some pictures from the time Arthur Wauchope was at Sulphur, including some of the Artesian Wells which my mother, Katharine Read, told me about seeing; explaining what they were and why they didn't stop running:

Rev. A.D. Wauchope was installed as Pastor of Bayless Memorial Presbyterian Church, Concord, NC (April 1912) (NOTE: The article misspelled the name of the church, as "Dayless" instead of the correct "Bayless."  ALSO: although the article does not state it, Rev. Wauchope was also Pastor of McKinnon Presbyterian Church at the same time.):
This Westminster Chapel was organized by First Presbyterian, Concord, NC and was named Bayless Memorial Presbyterian Church. This was the building where Rev. Wauchope began his ministry.  The article below follows Rev. Wauchope's farsightedness in moving/building a new church at the Kerr Street location (Photo and article below. Information from 75th Anniversary booklet, in public domain.).
Saturday, August 23, 1913, the Charlotte Observer, N.C., announced the Cabarrus Sunday School Convention held at Rocky River, with Rev. A.D. Wauchope:

The Hickory-Democrat April 29, 1915, indicates Rev. A.D. Wauchope, retiring as moderator:

Dr. A.D. Wauchope served as Pastor of
First Presbyterian Church, Hopewell, Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada, 1916-1918:
Dr. Arthur Douglas "A.D." Wauchope was minister at the St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia, Canada (January 3, 1918-November 30, 1919).
Dr. Arthur Douglas Wauchope, portrait, when he was minister at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Photos of church, exterior and interior, below:

Brief History of St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia, Canada (from their website):

The Columbus Ledger, Monday October 2, 1922, announces Day Services with Dr. A.D. Wauchope:

Dr. A.D. Wauchope

October 4, 1922, Columbus Ledger (Columbus, Georgia): 

Dr. A. D. Wauchope at Vineville Presbyterian Church

 

November 6, 1922, Macon Telegraph (Macon, Georgia): 

Dr. A. D. Wauchope

January 24, 1923, Macon Telegraph (Macon, Georgia): 

Dr. A.D. Wauchope served as pastor of the
First Presbyterian Church,
Waycross, Georgia.
Dr. A.D. Wauchope served as Pastor of First Presbyterian Church,
Moultrie, Georgia

June 1, 1923-November 1926.
The church in Moultrie, Georgia has one of the largest pipe organs in the area: a 3 manual, 34 rank Schantz Pipe Organ.
First Presbyterian Church, Gainesville, Georgia, was the last church pastored by Dr. A.D. Wauchope:

Sunday, March 21, 1943 Paper: Augusta Chronicle (Augusta, Georgia)

Tuesday, March 17, 1931, the Macon Telegraph, Georgia, announces the death of Dr. A.D. Wauchope (NOTE: they accidentally reversed the first two initials of his name; they also list his day of death as 16, instead of 15 March):
Edna Mae Rohr Wauchope
was the daughter of T. T. Rohr and Amanda Catherine Clem Rohr.
She married The Rev. Arthur Douglas Wauchope (1878-1931) on November 7, 1906.
She and Arthur had two children: Catherine Lois Wauchope (born September 18, 1907) and Arthur Douglas Wauchope, Jr. (born October 18, 1912). 

 
Catherine Lois Wauchope
daughter of Dr. and Mrs. A.D. Wauchope.

Born: Sept. 18, 1907; Died: Sept 26, 2001, Columbus, Polk County, N.C. 
She married Thomas Napoleon Renshaw (son of Thomas Edward Renshaw, Bessie) (Thomas Renshaw was born Nov. 17, 1899,NC; died on March 21, 1981, and buried beside his wife Catherine). Catherine is buried in same cemetery as her mother.
Arthur Douglas Wauchope, Jr. birth record:
Arthur Douglas Wauchope, Jr. Draft Card Registration:

Arthur Douglas "Doug" Wauchope

(grandson of Dr. Arthur Douglas Wauchope, and twin brother of

Robert Donald "Don" Wauchope)

Brevard High School (1960 graduate) and

Freshman at

Brevard College, 1961:

Arthur Douglas "Doug" Wauchope was a talented musician. 

Douglas Wauchope performs bass trombone at the Old South Union Church, Pine Hurst, NC, in a Trombone and Organ recital: "Meditation for Trombone" by Hidas.

Dr. Arthur Douglas Wauchope was minister at St. Andrews, Nova Scotia in 1918.
Doug Wauchope visited visited there and they invited him to participate in the service: playing several preludes and an offertory.  This is the postlude, "Just a Closer Walk."  He said that he met two people in their 90's who's parents were baptized there by "A.D." (Dr. Arthur Douglas Wauchope).

Robert Donald "Don" Wauchope

(grandson of Arthur Douglas Wauchope

and twin brother of Doug Wauchope)

Brevard High School, Senior, 1960

Robert Donald Wauchope, graduated from University of North Carolina:
Don Wauchope, Professor, North Carolina State University
David "Bruce" Wauchope,
brother of Don and Doug, also attended Brevard College.  He was on the honor roll several times.

Samuel Kendrick Wauchope,
son of
Joseph W. Wauchope.

Samuel Kendrick Wauchope (pictured here with his wife, Olga, and son, Roe) was born in Appomattox county, Virginia, the oldest son of The Rev. Joseph W. Walkup/Wauchope and Katherine Ann Kendrick. He attended Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia. He came to Oklahoma in 1896, as a clerk in the Government Indian School.

 

He was married to Olga Nicoline Paulsen on July 25, 1901, in Chicago, Illinois.


In 1920, at age 48, he was living in Hammon, Roger Mills County, Oklahoma, working as a Cashier in a Bank. 


He and his family moved to Shawnee in 1922, where Mr. Wauchope entered business as a Merchant of a Feed and Seed Store.


In 1930, he was age 58, still in the Feed and Seed business, while his daughter, Marie, age 26, taught public school, another daughter, Carol, age 11, worked in the Seed Store, his son Martin, age 19, was a salesman in a shoe store, his brother-in-law, Martin Paulson (who lived with them) was age 51, and worked for a steam railroad.  Martin Paulson was a witness at Irene Waucope's wedding.  At one time, he lived in the now-ghost-town Sofia, New Mexico.


Mr. Wauchope was a member of the Central Presbyterian Church, which he served faithfully. He was a ruling elder for over twenty-one years, was a faithful Sunday school teacher, and a member of the choir. His evangelistic zeal and interest in souls were doubtless the means of bringing many to Christ. He possessed great humility, but was ever active in personal work. He was a member of Synod Committee on Evangelism and was sent by his Presbytery to the General Assembly.

Samuel and Olga had five children:


Marie Karen Wauchope (June 18, 1903-September 10, 1994, buried in Fairview Cemetery, Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, OK.)

Roe Kendrick Wauchope (December 27, 1904-April 11, 1984, buried in Fairview Cemetery, Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, OK.)

Irene Katherine Wauchope Jenkins (1907-1960)

Martin Armstrong Wauchope (August 21, 1910-October 30, 1980, buried in Fairview Cemetery, Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, OK.) He married Marie Goodson in  Shawnee, OK, March 28 1937.

Olga Carol Wauchope Harper (1918-2010)

S.K. Wauchope puts house on the market, 1919:
S.K. Wauchope vouches for house sale in 1906:
From the "Colony Courier" DEC 1903:
Baptismal Record, Colony, OK, for Marie and Roe Kendrick Wauchope, children of S.K. Wauchope:
Baptismal Record, Colony, OK, for Irene, Ogla, Donald, and Beth Wauchope:
ROE KENDRICK WAUCHOPE
Son of Samuel Kendrick Wauchope, married Lola D., and their children were:
Lola Ruth and Charles Roe
Charles Roe Wauchope
son of Roe Kendrick Wauchope,

marriage license:

Charles Roe Wauchope

Oct 26, 1935 - May 23, 2017 (Age 81)

 

Charles (Chuck) Wauchope was born in 1935 in Shawnee, Oklahoma, to Roe and Lola Wauchope. He graduated from Shawnee High School in 1953. He attended college in New Mexico, and in 1957 moved to Seattle, WA to begin work at the Boeing Company. He also took classes at the University of Washington. In 1962 he married Vera Kanjer, and they had two sons - Jerry (b. 1962) and Tony (b. 1967). The family then resided in Federal Way, WA. In 1990, Charles retired from Boeing after 33 years. He enjoyed retirement and traveled around the world with his wife on vacations and cruises. He was an avid sports-watcher and enjoyed his Seahawks, Huskies, Sonics, and Mariners. He was the most loving husband, father, and grandfather, and was always willing to go out of his way to help people. His warmth, smile, and sense of humor will be greatly missed by all those who loved him.

Charles Roe Wauchope
worked at the Nevada Nuclear Test Site on "Project Sedan," July 6, 1962.
Martin Armstrong Wauchope
son of Samuel Kendrick Wauchope,

September 25, 1910, Baptism certificate:
Martin Armstrong Wauchope
Marriage Certificate:
Martin A. Wauchope was married in the Central Presbyterian Church (photo and story below) by the Rev. Chris Matheson, whose future wife (Sarah Hamilton) had taught Religious Education and Bible at the Oklahoma Presbyterian College for girls, Durant, Oklahoma, 1928-1933, where Katharine Rutherford Wauchope had attended. Rev. Matheson was on the board of trustees at Columbia Presbyterian Seminary; and later when Pastor of Central Presbyterian Church in Shawnee, Oklahoma, was on the board of trustees for the Oklahoma Presbyterian College for girls; and it was there he met his future wife; they married at Montreat, N.C.  Rev. Matheson came to Shawnee in 1919, from Gainesville, GA.  Martin Wauchope's brother, Roe Kendrick Wauchope, attended the ceremony.
Martin Armstrong Wauchope
1940 Census:
George A. Jenkins and Irene Wauchope
marriage license:

Obituary for Ogla Carol Wauchope Harper


Carol Harper, 91, died on Monday, Jan. 4, 2010 at Unity Hospital with her loving family beside her.

 

She was born on May 24, 1918 in Colony, Okla., to Samuel Kendrick Wauchope and Olga Nicoline (Paulsen) Wauchope. She moved to Shawnee at age 6 and graduated from Shawnee High School in 1935.

 

As a young woman, she attended Oklahoma Baptist University, worked in the community, and sang on KGFF with the "Dixie Belles." She later worked in the civil service for the Navy and after being transferred to Dublin, Ga., met and married Thomas Edward Harper Jr. on Aug.5, 1944. She became a Navy wife and moved frequently as her young family grew. She and Ed had three children, Ken Allen, Carol Lynn, and Jane Marie.

 

After the death of her husband on Aug. 21, 1961, she returned to Oklahoma to raise her family with the support of her dear sister, Marie Wauchope. Carol found another loving family when she started working as an administrative assistant in various capacities at Oklahoma Baptist University. She retired in 1982 and greatly treasured the memories, friendships and shared faith of her years at OBU.

 

Carol will be remembered for her faith, courage, music, laughter and love. She was a source of strength and prayer for her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She was a member of United Presbyterian Church and her family had a longtime affiliation with the former Central Presbyterian Church.

 

She was preceded in death by her parents; husband; sisters, Marie Wauchope and Irene Jenkins, and brothers, Roe Wauchope and Martin Wauchope. She is survived by her son, Ken Harper of Tulsa; daughers, Lynn Denslow of the home and Janie and Brad Humphrey of Tulsa; grandchildren, Kimberly Harper, Marc and Brooke Harper, Wesley and Beth Humphrey, all of Tulsa, Erin (Humphrey) and Allen Buck of Locust Grove, Jared Denslow of the home, Caroline (Denslow) Grubbs of Oklahoma City and Alan and Ladonna Denslow of Dallas. She is also survived by 12 great-grandchildren, two neices and two nephews.

 

Service will be conducted by the Reverend Dave Lewis at 2 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 8, at the Resthaven Chapel with burial to follow. Memorial gifts can be made to United Presbyterian Church.


(Rev. and Mrs Frank Hughes, Jr. took our family to visit her near Shawnee one summer).


Here is a picture of me riding on a horse sitting behind one of my Wauchope cousins, during that visit:

Joseph Alleine Wauchope

Born in Winchester, VA, son of Joseph W. Wauchope, he was named for Joseph Alleine, a Puritan minister (see note below).

In the same class as his brother Samuel Kendrick Wauchope, at Hampden-Sidney College and with his nickname "Ally," he
was involved in the Philathropic Society, Class Football Eleven in his Senior Year; Speaker in the Sophomore-Freshman Exhibition in his Sophomore Year. 


He later went to the University of Missouri and did graduate work.  In 1912 he wrote a Laboratory Manual in Physics, which was published by Scott, Foresman and Company. 


He first married Winifred Tiffany of St. Paul, on January 1, 1900, whom he had met at Humboldt High School, when he was teaching science at the time.  She died November 27, 1923. (They had a daughter Joyce Maurine "Lucie" born: October 3, 1900, died: June 23, 1988, who married Joseph Fredrick "Fred" Boxmeyer, and they had two children.) 


Joseph later married Mabel Regan (who died February 10, 1974).  Joyce Boxmeyer is buried  in Acacia Partk Cemetery, Mendota Heights, Dakota County, Minnesota.  In 1940, she lived with her husband, Fred, at 1789 Harvester St, St. Paul, MN.  Joyce and Fred's children: Joseph, Winifred, and Fredrick.

 

Joseph first taught at Marshalltown, Iowa; then entered business in Marinette, Wisconsin.
The 1900 Census indicates he was living in Wisconsin:
In 1930, he lived at 202 Winifred St,
St. Paul, MN:
Joseph Wauchope worked briefly for the
Carpenter & Cook Company (Pictured above).



After teaching in Ashland, Wisconsin, he went to St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1906, to teach physics in the Mechanic Arts High School.  (See picture below).


Having previously been head of the Science Department at Humboldt High School, in 1914, he was appointed principal at the high school in Humboldt. (See pictures below).

 

He was briefly Boy Scout Commissioner in St. Paul (1910-1913), later resuming his duties as Humboldt principal. (A picture of him in Scout Uniform, appears below).

 

He died at the St. Paul Hotel on January 3, 1947, after a brief illness and is buried in the Acacia Park Cemetery, Mendota Heights, Dakota County, Minnesota, next to his wife Mabel.

Members of the St. Paul Municipal Hike Club.
(This club is still in existence, as of 2016). 

L to R:
Fred Boxmeyer (husband), Joyce Wauchope Boxmeyer (Fred's wife, and daughter of Joseph A. Wauchope),
Grace Cummings Villars and her husband Gerald. 
Taken aprox. 1924.

Fred Boxmeyer was a past President
for 2 non-consecutive terms, of the Hike Club:

The Founder of the Hike Club was Grace Cummings Villiars (seen in the picture above, with her husband Gerald, and  Mr. and Mrs. Boxmeyer):

Brief Description

Of the Hike Club


If you enjoy the outdoors, like viewing scenery, the progression of local architecture, and want to share the company with others who desire staying physically fit, our club may be right for you.  If you’re 18 or older, you are welcome.  This is your invitation and there is no fee for guests.  Besides all that, we have fun together.  Since 1921, the St Paul Hiking Club has been a valuable and unique asset to the people of St. Paul, Minnesota.

Sunday hikes start at 2:30 pm and cover about 5 miles, taking approximately 2 hours.


Tuesday hikes start at 7:30 pm. and cover about 3 miles, which takes approximately 75 minutes.  Beginning in December through March, there are daytime hikes on Tuesday at 11:30 AM. Nighttime hikes are not offered December thru March.

"IN OUR 95TH YEAR-SOME HISTORY" (Newspaper article)

 

A joint hike with the Minneapolis hiking club was held on Saturday, February 17, 1923 from the University campus to the Agricultural School. The combined group ate at the cafeteria and danced to the Minneapolis Hiker’s orchestra. In the following years, joint hikes of the two clubs were held on numerous occasions. On a few joint gatherings, there were walking contests to see which club could supply the fastest hiker over a specified distance. At one time the St. Paul club became aware of a very fast walker and had him join the club so that St. Paul could win the contest.

 

From: A History of the St. Paul Municipal Hiking Club 1921-1960 by Irving W. Kendall

Joseph A. Wauchope receives first unusual teaching certificate ever issued

From the “Mexico Weekly Ledger,” (Mexico, Mo.) August 12, 1897:

Joseph Wauchope first taught school in Marshalltown, Iowa
Joseph Wauchope taught at Ashland, Wisconsin
Mechanic Arts High School, 1910:
Mechanic Arts High School, 1916:
Joseph Wauchope taught here at the Mechanic Arts High School, St. Paul, MN.
Joseph A. Wauchope taught evening classes in Electrical Engineering and Physics:
While at Mechanic Arts, he spent the summer of 1912, in additional studies at Cornell University:
Joseph Wauchope was principal at Humboldt
(He worked in the building pictured at the bottom right. It is the oldest public high School in St. Paul.)
 

Humboldt High School was named for Baron Alexander Von Humboldt, a German scientist.  He was also an explorer, geographer, and diplomat, and known as the last universal person.  Humboldt has served the West Side community since 1889.  The school building has grown to 316,000 square feet on 16 acres. 

The oldest portion of the current facility was built in 1909.  Additions were made in 1924 and 1959.  The newest portion opened in the fall of 1976 as an educational complex for grades 7 – 12.  In the fall of 1981 Humboldt Senior High became a four-year school with the inclusion of 9th grade students.  Humboldt Junior High maintained grades 7 and 8.  In 1982 the two schools formed Humboldt Secondary Complex of grades 7 – 12.

Humbolt High School, 1915:
While Principal of Humboldt High School, he participated in a major educational school
survey of 1917:

Humbolt High School, 1920:

MRS. WAUCHOPE DEAD

Former Marshalltown Girl Died in St. Paul

Word of the death in St. Paul Tuesday of Mrs. J.A. Wauchope was received in a telegram from Mr. Wauchope to his brother-in-law, Cady J. Moffatt, which came Tuesday afternoon. Altho the cause of death was not stated in the message, the presumption is that the end was due to some complication resulting from organic heart disease, with which Mrs. Wauchope had been suffering for several years.

Mrs. Wauchope was formerly Miss Winifred Tiffany of this city, and has many friends here. She was born in Union Oct. 29, 1879, the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.S. Tiffany. The daughter Winifred received her education here, was graduated from the high school with the class of 1898, and on Jan. 1, 1900, became the wife of Mr. Wauchope, who was at the head of the science department of the high school here. Most of the married life of Mr. and Mrs. Wauchope has been passed in St. Paul, where Mr. Wauchope is principal of the Humboldt high school. The Wauchope home is at 135 Western avenue.

In addition to her husband and one daughter, Mrs. F.J. Boxmeyer, of St. Paul, Mrs. Wauchope is survived by her father who lives in Madison, Wis.; two sisters, Mrs. Moffatt and Mrs. C.W. Ostdiek, the latter of Hibbing, Minn.; and one brother, Arthur Tiffany, of San Francisco.

Funeral services will be held from the Wauchope home Friday afternoon, and burial will be in St. Paul.

Mr. and Mrs. Moffatt left early this morning for St. Paul to be present at the funeral.

          ---Times-Republican, Marshalltown, Nov. 28, 1923

The architectural significance of the Joseph Wauchope house in St. Paul:

Observations on Architectural Styles, Part 3

St. Paul West Side Hike

Assembled by

Lawrence A. Martin

 

 

262 Winifred Street West: Built in 1915. The structure is a one story, 1296 square foot, six room, one bathroom, aluminum/vinyl-sided bungalow, with a detached garage. The 1930 city directory indicates that Joseph A. Wauchope, the principal at Humboldt High School, and his wife, Mabel Wauchope, resided at this address. The property was last sold in 2005 with a sale price of $200,000. The current owner of record of the property is Cynthia L. Mills and the current owners of record of the property are Bonnie A. Ohare Graff and Robert C. Ohare Graff.

Attending the University of Minnesota, in 1928, Mrs. Mabel Regan Wauchope (wife of Joseph A. Wauchope), was a member of Pi Lambda Theta. (Listed in right-hand column, at bottom.)  Founded in 1910, Pi Lamba Theta is one of the most prestigious education honor societies.
Edward Houston Wauchope,
son of
Joseph W. Wauchope
Ed Wauchope took part in a local drama group, Colony, OK.

The Herald-Sentinel. (Cloud Chief, Okla. Terr.), Vol. 6, No. 15, Ed. 1 Friday, March 12, 1897

Ed Wauchope was written up in Oklahoman Newspaper, July 26, 1910:
A news story in the "Colony Courier" for September 1910:
A news story appeared in the "Colony Courier" for April 4, 1912, which gives us a clue as to where Ed Houston Wauchope died, as there is no record of this in Oklahoma:
Rev. William Crawford "Bill" Wauchope, son of Joseph W. Wauchope, and his first wife,
Anne Elizabeth "Beth" McLeod

Bill married Anne Elizabeth "Beth" McLeod (b. 8 Mar 1884, d. 14 Jun 1943) on May 25, 1908 in Somerville, Massachusetts. Beth was the daughter of  Rev. Donald B Mcleod and Stella B. Dyer.  Rev. McLeod was born on Prince Edward Island, Canada.


They had one son, Donald M. Wauchope (Born April 1909, in the Seger Township, WashitaCounty, Colony, Oklahoma, where his father was a minister at the Seger Indian Training School), who drowned when he was 16 years old, when the family was living in Concord, N.C.


Bill Wauchope was the son of The Rev. Joseph Walker Walkup/Wauchope and Katherine Ann Kendrick. He graduated from Hampden-Sidney College in 1900, where he had been a charter member of Kappa Alpha fraternity. He then attended Harvard Divinity School and Union Theological Seminary. He was ordained in 1908. He served as the pastor of Columbia Memorial Church, in Colony, OK, in the War Work Council Y.M.C.A., as religious secretary at Camp Gordon, Atlanta, GA., and as assistant camp secretary at Fort Moultrie, SC. He was also a missionary to Upper Musquodoboit, Nova Scotia. He also served as Pastor of Second Presbyterian Church, in the Concord, N.C. area.


Bill later married Bess Thompson (b. 29 Mar 1878, d. 7 Jun 1968). They lived in Concord, NC, where he died in 1975.


Rev. Frank Hughes, Jr., his wife Katharine (Read) and their two sons, Jim and Joe, visited with Bill and his second wife Bess, before they passed away.

W.C. Wauchope attended Hampden-Sidney College, and Union Theological Seminary, Richmond, VA:

WAUCHOPE, William Crawford ('00): Present address, Concord, N. C.; with War Work Council Y. M. C. A. from April 1, 1918, to Dec. 31, 1918; religious secretary at Camp Gordon, Atlanta, Ga., and assistant camp secretary at Fort Moultrie, S. C.

His second wife was Bess Thompson.
Marriage Certificate:

Bess Thompson Wauchope
Death Certificate:

From THE KAPA ALPHA journal, Vol. 25 (which has correct location {W.VA.} of his first pastorate):

 

Tygarts Valley Church, also known as Tygarts Valley Presbyterian Church, (in the Horton, W.VA. area) was the first pastorate of Rev. William Crawford Wauchope.  (Today, this church is one of three small churches served by one "Circuit Rider" Presbyterian minister).

 

Some information about this church:

The November 21, 1912 Daily Oklahoman Newspaper (OK City) reported Rev. W.C. Wauchope spoke at this mission program (see last paragraph).
Rev. William Wauchope

(in later years)

Bill Wauchope stands on an American Tank and

speaks to returning Veterans

(Polk County News and the Tyron Bee, May 9, 1919)

Mary Armstrong Wauchope Rhea
(next to youngest child of Joseph Walker Walkup {Wauchope})

Mary Armstrong Wauchope Rhea, widow of Rev. Alfred “Alf” Long Rhea, Presbyterian Minister, died, May 8, 1948, age 64, at home of her daughter, Mrs. Mayes Webb in Hickory Withe.


Born, July 25, 1884, in Capon Bridge, West Virginia, she lived in Somerville, TN, 45 years. Mary was next to the youngest child of The Rev. Joseph Walker Walkup/Wauchope. 


(SHE WAS THE SISTER OF Katharine Rutherford Wauchope, who married Rev. J. Leighton Read).


She was a member the Presbyterian Church and a librarian at the Fayette County Library.  She married Rev. Alfred Long Rhea, a Presbyterian minister.


At the time of her death she was survived by three other daughters:  Mrs. James Dancy, Dancyville, Mrs. Leland Barker, Marianna, Arkansas, and Miss Josephine Rhea, Somerville. Also survived by a son, James T. Rhea, Gallatin, Tennessee, a sister, Mrs. J. Leighton (Wauchope) Read, Norman, Oklahoma, and a brother, W. C. Wauchope, Somerville, TN.


She is buried Somerville Cemetery,

TN.


Mary Wauchope

(in earlier years)

Rev. Alfred Long Rhea


From Alfred's obituary: "To James and Fannie M. Rhea at their plantation on December 5, 1879, was born a baby boy, Alfred Long Rhea. As a child he attended Shady Grove Sunday School. Growing older he came to Somerville with his parents and at age of 12 united with Presbyterian Church. He went from public school at Williston to Clarksville, graduating in 1902. Also studied and graduated at Union Seminary, Richmond, Virginia. January 1, 1907, he was married to Mary Armstrong Wauchope. To them were born five children, JAMES TAYLOR, KATHERINE KENDRICK, MARY FRANCES, ELLEN PRESTON, and JOSEPHINE WAUCHOPE. He served Tunica and Clarksdale, Mississippi, Orwood and Wapanucha, Oklahoma, as a Presbyterian minister. He was a teacher of Bible at Durant, Oklahoma. Called home on account of the death of his father, he took over his father's lumber business. Continued preaching at Denmark, Stanton and Mason until they were able to call full time ministers. Died July 23, 1925, when summons to 'Come Up Higher' came.
Rev. Alfred Long Rhea and his wife, Mary Wauchope Rhea, with two of their children: Mary Francis (being held by Alfred)
and Katherine.

Alfred Long Rhea

 

Birth:            Dec. 5, 1879

Death:           Jul. 22, 1925

Fayette County

Tennessee, USA

 

Family links:

 Parents:

  James Taylor Rhea (1847 - 1914)

  Mary Frances Rhea Rhea (1848 - 1927)

 

 Spouse:

  Mary Wauchope Rhea (1884 - 1948)

 

 Children:

  Josephine Wauchope Rhea Thomas (1921 - 2009)

 

 Siblings:

  James W. Rhea (1876 - 1876)

  Alfred Long Rhea (1879 - 1925)

  Howard Matthew Rhea (1889 - 1958)

  Abel Rhea (1890 - 1892)

 

Burial:

Somerville Cemetery

Somerville

Fayette County

Tennessee, USA

Mary Armstrong Wauchope Rhea (seated left), with two of her daughters,

Katherine [Mrs. Mayes Lyle Webb](seated)

and Josephine [Mrs. William Allen Thomas] (standing),

and her only son, James Taylor Rhea (standing).

Mary Armstrong Wauchope (center) with her four daughters.

Clockwise from top: Mary Francis [Dancy],

Josephine Wauchope [Thomas], Ellen Preston [Barker],

 and Katherine Kendrick [Webb].

IN THE PICTURE BELOW:

James Taylor and Mary Francis Rhea with four of their six children: Alfred Long Rhea (front row far right), Howard Matthew, Mary Ellen, and James Dysart (left to right on back row). Their first son, James (born 1876) died as an infant. Their last son, Abel (born 1890), died at two years of age.

JAMES TAYLOR RHEA (Father of Alfred Long Rhea):
He was the son of James Dysart Rhea and Elizabeth Juliet Carter. He was a lumber dealer and President of Somerville Bank and Trust Company, member of the Presbyterian church, and educated at King College in Bristol, Tennessee. He was married to Mary Frances Rhea the daughter of Matthew and Mary (Looney) Rhea. Returning from church he passed through his back premises and to a chicken yard gate near his neighbor's back yard. The neighbor mistook Mr. Rhea for a horse thief and shot him. 

Able Rhea  (Brother of Alfred Long Rhea)

 

Birth:            Jan. 22, 1890

Somerville

Fayette County

Tennessee, USA

Death:           Jul. 5, 1892

Somerville

Fayette County

Tennessee, USA

 

Died of cholera infantum. He was the son of James T. and Mary Frances (Rhea) Rhea. He names may have been Abe L. Rhea. This is taken from the tombstone and is hard to decipher. This would be consistent with an uncle named Abraham Looney Rhea and a great-grandfather Abraham Looney.

 

Family links:

 Parents:

  James Taylor Rhea (1847 - 1914)

  Mary Frances Rhea Rhea (1848 - 1927)

Josephine Wauchope Rhea Thomas

Birth:            Jul. 5, 1921

Somerville

Fayette County

Tennessee, USA

Death:           Oct. 29, 2009

Chattanooga

Hamilton County

Tennessee, USA

 

Josephine Rhea Thomas passed away Thursday morning, October 29, 2009, at a local Chattanooga, Tenn. hospital as a result of recent medical problems. She was 88 years old.

 

Josephine was born and raised in Somerville, Tenn. She attended Fayette County Schools, playing on the basketball team and graduating as valedictorian in 1939. She attended Southwestern in Memphis (now Rhodes College) and graduated from the University of Tennessee in 1943. She worked as a X-ray technician in Oak Ridge during WWII and in Riverside, Calif., after the war. She returned to West Tennessee to work at Kennedy Hospital in 1947.

 

She married William A. Thomas, of Whiteville, Tenn., in 1950 (deceased) who became a Jackson, Tenn., architect from the 1950s through the late 1990s.

 

She was an active member of First Methodist Church of Jackson and involved with the Jackson Hoe and Hope Garden Club for many years. For the past four years she has been attending Burks Methodist Church in Hixson.

 

She is survived by three sons, William A. "Bill" Thomas Jr., of Chattanooga, James Robert "Bob" Thomas, of Maryville, Tenn., Brian Rhea Thomas, of Knoxville; and seven grandchildren.

 

Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday, November 7, 2009, from the North Chapel of George A. Smith and Sons with the Rev. Paul Clayton officiating.

 

Visitation will be 5 until 8 p.m. Tuesday.

 

Burial will take place following the service at Melrose Cemetery in Whiteville, Tenn., with the Rev. David Weatherly.

 

George A. Smith and Sons North Chapel.

 

Family links:

 Parents:

  Alfred Long Rhea (1879 - 1925)

  Mary Wauchope Rhea (1884 - 1948)

 

 Spouse:

  William Allen Thomas (1922 - 2008)

 

Burial:

Melrose Cemetery

Whiteville

Hardeman County

Josephine Wauchope Rhea's marriage to William Allen Thomas, was conducted by Rev. William C. Wauchope:
My Mother told me that "Wauchope" was a Welsh word meaning "Valley of Hope."  The picture (above) is "The Valley of Hope," in Wales.
The Wauchope Scottish Tartan:
Joseph Walker Walkup (brother of Samuel Houston Walkup) (December 28, 1826- December 31, 1903).  He was married first, to Jennie Armstrong; and second, to Kate Henrich.

Son of Rev Samuel and Mary Todd Houston Wauchope. Married (1) Jane Wilson Armstrong, and (2) Katherine Ann Kendrick.

 

 

Parents:

  Samuel Walkup (1783 - 1852)

  Maria Todd Houston Walkup (1798 - 1874)

 

 Spouses:

  Jane Wilson Armstrong Wauchope (1834 - 1862)

  Katherine Kendrick Wauchope (1845 - 1925)

 

 Children:

  George Armstrong Wauchope (1862 - 1943)

  Samuel Kendrick Wauchope (1871 - 1945)

  William Crawford Wauchope (1880 - 1975)

 

 Siblings:

  Joseph Walker Wauchope (1826 - 1903)

  Matthew Henry Walkup (1829 - 1909)

  Samuel Houston Walkup (1842 - 1908)


He served as a Chaplain for the Confederacy during the Civil War (Virginia 9th Infantry Regiment) (Source: Archives, Library of Virginia: Confederate rosters/microfilm, v.1-20, reel 1-10).
He appears in the "Cloaks from the Colonnade" listing of the Washington & Lee University {Washington College} as one of those who served as Chaplain in the Civil War:

Brown, Abraham Burwell
Brown, Henry
Brown, John C
Coiner, David Holmes
Craig, J Newtown
Gilmer, George H.
Hamilton, Alexander L.
Hickman, William P.
Houston, William W.
Lacy, Beverly Tucker
Lacy, Drury
Lyle, George Tate
McCue, Paul Carrington
Miller, Charles A.
Preston, Thomas Lewis
Walkup, Joseph Walker
White, Henry Martin


He was pastor of High Bridge Presbyterian Church, 1867-1890.  ("Walkup" is a different spelling for "Wauchope" but is the same family).

He was Pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church of Richmond, Virginia.

It was Joseph who changed the spelling of his last name to "Walkup" and used that for most of his life. His son George Armstrong Wauchope changed it back to the original Scottish name, where it has remained.

Samuel Houston Walkup, C.S.A.
("The Valley Regulators" Company K, 11th Regiment, Virginia Infantry)  (James D. Walkup and Matthew Walkup served in the same company with him.)
Samuel Houston Walkup was wounded, first in the Battle of Williamsburg, in both hands, and in his side; and again in the battle of Drury's Bluff where he was shot through his left lung. 
James Walkup was wounded at First Manassas. (Source: p.37-38, Muster Rolls)
(Photo of Gravestone and Iron Cross C.S.A.)
The May 8, 1904 issue of the Richmond Times Dispatch, Richmond, VA, had an article about the Houston--Walkup--Wauchope family tree.  It is in the attached pfd file below:

Katherine Ann Kendrick

was born at Matin Hill in Strasburg, Virginia. Her father was Samuel Kendrick (11 Jun 1802 - 8 Jun 1859). Her mother was Clarinda Spengler (3 Feb 1818 - 13 May 1851), daughter of Capt. Anthony Spengler (29 Dec 1774 - 29 Jun 1834) of Strasburg, VA. (My mother, Katharine Read Hughes, did some research on the Spengler family, which can be found on this webpage).


On June 23, 1869, Kate (as she was called) married The Rev. Joseph Walker Walkup/Wauchope (28 Dec 1826 - 30 Dec 1903), a widower with a son, George. Joseph and Kate then had five sons and two daughters of their own. One of these daughters was Mary Armstrong Wauchope, wife of Alfred Long Rhea, who is also buried in Somerville Cemetery, Fayette County, TN.

Matthew Henry Walkup (Wauchope)
son of Samuel and Maria Todd Houston Walkup, born January 1829, Rockbridge County, VA.  Died: November 21, 1909, Sinks Grove, Monroe County, WVA.  He was a teacher and a merchant; also served in the Confederate army ("The Valley Regulators" Company K, 11th Regiment, Virginia Infantry).  First wife: Clara Cynthia Byrnside (1838-1852); second wife: Elizabeth Ann Bickett (1829-1895).  Children: Maria Houston Walkup Peck (September 28 1860-September 12, 1939, She married Erastus Henderson Peck (1854-1927) Children: Sarah Catherine Peck Feshman, Mary Houston Peck Fleshman), Infant Walkup of Matthew Henry Walkup and Clary Cynthia Byrnside (1862-1862), Kate May Walkup Ballard (1864-1940), Nannie Jane Walkup Stuart (1870-1959).
Infant Walkup:
Matthew Henry Walkup's 2 marriages:
Before her marriage to Matthew Henry Walkup, Elizabeth Ann Bickett was first married to Pvt. Joshua Leach, born 1836 in Monroe County, WVA, died: May 23, 1862.  He served in the Virginia Monroe Light Artillery Battery (Captain Bryan's Company), having enlisted in VA.  He was killed in action at the Battle of Lewisburg, and is buried in the Old Stone Presbyterian Church cemetery; later moved to a memorial in a mass grave after the war. (His parents: Robert Wilson Leach (1813-1897) and Susanna Young Leach (1817-1888).

It is interesting to note that Elizabeth Ann Bickett had a brother, Michael Bickett (1831- February 29, 1888) who was also a Confederate soldier, a Pvt. in Bryan's VA. Battery. He took up farming, never married, and died from pneumonia on the same day as his mother, Nancy.  
Wauchope and Rutherford family tree information:
(Key to understanding the connection between the Wauchope, Rutherford, and Kendrick families). 
(My grandmother's middle name was Rutherford).

Katharine Rutherford Wauchope (mother of Mrs. Frank Hughes, Jr.) was born in Capon Bridge, WVA. 
Here are some more pictures from that town:
Religious Music and Photographs,
in memory of the Wauchope family heritage from Wales and Scotland.
More information about Wauchope family tree from Scotland:
Wauchope Forest, Scotland


Wauchope Forest is criss-crossed with trails that are great for walking, cycling and horse riding. Some lead you beside a babbling burn and through mixed woodland where you might spot red squirrels in the canopy and goshawks overhead. Others take you up to open ground with panoramic views of the border country and the Cheviot Hills.


Wauchope lies either side of the B6357, which links Bonchester Bridge and Newcastleton in the Scottish Borders.


The course of the Hyndlee Burn was changed when a new forest road was built here. The burn is now carefully managed to make it as natural as possible and attractive to wildlife. Look into the water near the Wauchope Entrance car park to see how logs have been placed in the water to create still pools, which attract fish, insects and birds.


Wauchope’s woods are planted with plenty of clearings to help rare and threatened wildlife feel at home. Black grouse, goshawk, and juniper are priority species in this area. (Source: Scotland Forestry Commission)

Wauchope Forest (indicated by red dot) is very close to the Scottish/English border, seen in lower right-hand corner, from this satellite map.

Niddrie House: Wauchope family home, Scotland

Major General Andrew Gilbert Wauchope (1846–1899), CB, CMG, Order of Medijieh

(Painting by John Alfred Horsburgh)

Oil painting, ‘No Surrender: The Black Watch at Magersfontein’, 1900, by Frank Feller, tells the story of the gallant leadership of General Wauchope:
Grave of Major General Wauchope

Monument Cemetery, near Matjiesfontein:

The historic Monument Cemetery lies 10km west of Matjiesfontein (towards Cape Town).  The cemetery is a popular stop for Anglo-Boer War enthusiasts and history buffs. The two obelisks on the koppie encourage many other tourists to stop and explore. One was erected in memory of George Maxwell Grant, killed in a rail accident, and the other is a British Army memorial in honour of Major-General Andrew Wauchope, affectionately known as "Red Mick." A hero of Scotland, he was killed at the Battle of Magersfontein, near Kimberley, during the Anglo-Boer War. Wauchope’s grave in the cemetery below is marked by a simple sandstone memorial erected by his wife Jean. Nearby are the graves of James D Logan, founder of Matjiesfontein, and his wife Emma. Their daughter, Catherine, son, Daddy Jim, and several other family members lie nearby. In the cemetery are many historic graves, including that of English cricketer Edward Alfred Lohmann, considered to have been one of the world’s greatest all-rounders ever.


(You can read about The Boer War, in which General Wauchope was killed in the book, "The Great Boer War" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who was also the author of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries).

Stone carved 'celtic' style cross monument on a stepped base dedicated to Major General Andrew Gilbert Wauchope of Niddrie Marischal house and situated immediately in front of the South elevation of the Niddrie Mill Primary School, Edinburgh, Scotland.  Inscription reads  "In sacred memory of Major General Andrew Gilbert Wauchope of Niddrie Marischal, who fell in battle at Magersfontein, South Africa, 8th December 1899 while gallantly leading The Highland Brigade" "Erected by the miners of Niddrie, the Tenants of Niddrie Estate and by other friends...." The Cross was designed by T. T. Paterson and carved in pink Correnne granite by William Beveridge in 1900.  

In the centre of Town Yetholm village green is the memorial to Major-General Andrew Wauchope of Niddrie, Yetholm. It bears the inscription:

'Erected by the inhabitants of Yetholm and other friends in memory of General Wauchope, CB, CMG of Yetholm, who fell in battle while leading his troops at Magersfontein, 11th Dec 1899.'

About the town of Yetholm:  originally there was a route through the hills to England, so Yetholm was the 'place at the gate', from the old Scots 'yett' meaning a gate, and 'holm' or 'ham' the Anglo-Saxon for a settlement.

Wauchope Community Hall

Situated in Town Yetholm, the hall is in the building which was the one in which the Yetholm Border View United Presbyterians held their worship before they amalgamated with the Free Church, to become Yetholm St James' United Free Church, probably just before the Great War, and used the St James Church building for their services. The ground on which the hall stands was presented to the original church by Wauchope of Niddrie Marischal. The hall, today, is run by a group of Trustees who have kept the facilities up to the highest modern standards. It is the major meeting place and is used by all the local groups, including the WRI, the badminton club etc. The hall is also the venue for the Horticultural Show.

Additional Hughes, Wauchope, Read Pictures/Information
Rev. W.C. Wauchope and Rev. J. Leighton Read served as Missionaries in Colony, Oklahoma. (See list below:)

The ordained Indian missionaries who served at Colony were: Frank Hall Wright, 1895-7; Walter C. Roe, 1897-1913; Arthur Brokaw, 1904-5; L. L. Legters, 1905-6; Richard H. Harper, 1907-9; W. C. Wauchope, 1909-10; John H. Baxter, 1910-13; Henry A. Vruwink, 1913-17;                J. Leighton Read, 1917-23; John H. Baxter, 1923-6 (second term); Richard H. Harper, 1927-9 (second term); Peter Van Es, Jr., 1930-2.

Colony was originally founded by John Seger and was known as the Seger Colony.

Colony is one of the oldest towns in Western Oklahoma founded in 1886, by John Seger and the Cheyenne-Arapaho on the banks of Cobb Creek. Seger Indian Industrial School operated here from 1892 until 1932. Local tradition holds this was a starting point for the Land run of 1892. Dutch Reformed Mission opened here in 1895. Post Office established Jan. 8, 1896. Long before the 20th Century, Native Americans occupied the surrounding land c. 904-1400 A.D. George Bent lived in the area and is buried nearby. Pow.Wows held here since late 1930's by Cheyenne-Arapaho Tribe. (Source: OK Historical Society).

Rev. J. Leighton Read served as Supply Pastor of Minco Presbyterian Church, Minco, Oklahoma, February 1941-1945.

Additional Read, D'Antoni, Dillon, Hughes pictures and information